In the Wire-based Additive Manufacturing Laboratory, AIT experts develop design methods for light metal components and parts to ensure safe, environmentally friendly passenger transport in mobility concepts of the future. The lightweight design methods consider, in addition to, the specific properties of light metals, manufacturing methods, also the resulting effects on properties such as residual stresses, distortion, etc.
- Concept development and feasibility studies
- Production of sample components and prototypes via Wire & Arc Additive Manufacturing (WAAM)
- Combined process and material optimisation
- Optimisation of existing WAM processes
- Development of special wires made of light metals for WAM applications and welding technology (e.g. aluminium, magnesium, …)
- Analysis by numerical methods
- Material characterisation and mechanical component tests